Job Title: Manager POD
Reports to (title): Country Director
Location: Islamabad - Pakistan
Travel: In WaterAid Pakistan interventions areas and internationally when required
Clean water, decent toilets and hygiene are three essentials that help people lead dignified and healthy lives.
They should be normal for everyone, but for millions of people they are not.
We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene a normal part of everyday life for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
Role of position in the organisation:
This is a senior management role specifically looking after the People and Organizational Development function at the CP level.
The Manager People and OD is responsible for providing strategic support to Pakistan CP in delivering outstanding people and organisational development (OD).
Reporting line: The position will report directly to Country Director
Key working relationships:
Internal: Country Director, SMT and all WAP staff. External: HR Service Providers, Consultants, Regional and Global HR Fraternity.
Purpose of Role With a deep understanding of the CP organisational requirements in relation to people needs and what makes great people management, the Manager People and OD will develop and embed solutions appropriate to the CP and in line with WaterAid’s CP’s and global people principles, frameworks and tools.
Key accountabilities fall under the following categories
- Develop and Implement CP People and OD Plan: Develop a clear understanding of the CP people needs and with support from the CD create and effectively deliver a people and OD plan to maximise the CP’s effectiveness and capabilities. Ensure the People and OD Plan supports the wider WaterAid Global People Strategy and stays in line with the CP’s HR manual.
- Effectively support the Senior Management Teams (SMT): Advise and support the CP Senior Management Team who are responsible for the overall leadership of the CP. Promote WaterAid’s values and leadership behaviours.
- Support Change Management: Support CD and managers to drive, communicate and sustain change implementation by ensuring clarity on the rationale for change, the future vision, what needs to be done and what the impact is.
- Embed Performance Management: Embed and role-model a strong performance management culture and processes. Support and coach staff and managers to create clear appraisal objectives, hold open honest conversations, recognise success and implement performance improvement plans using WaterAid global principles, tools and timelines.
- Work with wider Global People team: Support the development and delivery of global and regional people projects, sharing learning, resources across the people network.
- Resourcing: Support the SMT to identify skills and capabilities required to deliver current and future CP work. Develop an annual CP resourcing plan and support and challenge managers to make the right resourcing choices. Use appropriate, effective and creative recruitment and selection approaches.
- Induction: Ensure new and transitioning employees receive a thorough induction and coach managers on their role in delivering this
- Identify and maximise potential: Support managers in identifying and maximising high potential and succession planning in the CP in line with CP’s HR manual and WaterAid global principles, tools and timelines.
- Learning and Development: Coach managers to understand employee learning needs, career aspirations and to build learning and development plans. Recommend suitable learning methods and develop an annual CP learning and development plan.
- Leadership and Management Development: Work with the Regional People Lead for South Asia and the global Leadership and Engagement Team to support the building of leadership competence in the CP.
- Reward and Payroll: Manage and continuously improve CP reward ensuring an appropriate mix of pay, benefits and non-pay rewards in line with WaterAid’s reward principles, framework and national legislation. Contribute to reward benchmarking and coach managers in talking to employees about reward. Ensure payroll and reward is delivered and communicated effectively.
- Employee Engagement: Encourage high levels of employee engagement, including thorough staff participation in the global employee survey.
- People Policies and Processes: Develop and ensure implementation of all CP people policies, processes, administration, staff handbook and other documentation, ensuring this is kept up to date, is effective, in line with current legislation and WaterAid global policies (i.e. employment contracts, starters, leavers and change processes).
- Effective Management of Employee Relations: Provide specialist advice and instruction to managers on employee relations issues (i.e. disciplinary, grievance, capability, bullying and harassment) in line with CP policy, Global WaterAid policies and national legislation, working with legal providers as needed.
- Diversity Management: Give accurate and appropriate advice, training and support to managers to recognise, respect and enable diversity.
- People Reporting: Collect, collate and accurately analyse people metrics for use within the CP and for regional and organisational wide people reporting.
- Other role related tasks / activities as required by CD.
- Post-graduate degree in Human Resource Management or related field from a reputed university/institution.
- Professional Certification in HR / OD
- Between 10-15 years of relevant experience with minimum 5 years at a senior management position in a similar organisational/functional context
- Substantial operational experience of working within a busy HR team environment providing timely and high-quality advice and work in all aspects of HR (recruitment, reward, employee relations, employment legislation, learning and development, change management, policies and processes)
- Designed and implemented IT enabled workflows
Knowledge & skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills and exposure and experience of working at senior management team level.
- Strong knowledge in HR best practice and innovative new practices
- Experience of leading and effectively delivering people-based projects
- Strong knowledge, understanding and application of labour laws in Pakistan
- Strong planning and budget management skills
- Strong IT skills particularly MS Word, Excel and Outlook, with experience of using HR databases, online recruitment tools and Intranets
- Analytical and numeracy skills, to produce and distil accurate information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Coaching & Mentoring Skills
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust.
WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind.
The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously.
All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
We will conduct the most appropriate preemployment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunity, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality.