WaterAid is an international non-governmental organisation based in the United Kingdom and established since 1981. The country programme of WaterAid in Pakistan has been in operation since 2006 and under an MoU with the Ministry of Interior. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in the poorest communities. It supports local organisations and governments to set up low cost and sustainable WASH solutions that can be managed by the community. WaterAid also seeks to, collaboratively with other sector partners, influence policies of the government to protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
WaterAid Pakistan closely works with the government to provide technical assistance for WASH service delivery, to enable effective legislation and trigger behaviour change among people to enable sustainable WASH service delivery. WaterAid is seeking services of an Provincial Coordinator with the following purpose and responsibilities while providing support to other programmes.
Role of position in the organisation:
The Provincial Coordinator - Sindh is responsible for sustained engagement with the public, private and academia at the provincial level with emphasis on delivering WaterAid Pakistan country strategy. The Provincial Coordinator will act as the provincial focal person for the implementation of programmatic and advocacy activities across the province. The role requires close liaison with Sindh provincial assembly, key line departments responsible for the implementation of SDG 6. He/she will develop linkages and maintain effective coordination with the legislators, key government departments, project teams, partners and stakeholders.
The Provincial Coordinator has the overall strategic and operational responsibility of implementing WaterAid programmes at the provincial level with a focus on influencing WASH sector policy and practice. He/she will synergise to maximise WAP’s efforts in the province for embedding the right to sanitation, water and hygiene for all the citizens with a focus on poor and excluded people. He/she will also support rolling out WAP’s strategic programmatic activities and support field operations and partners to influence WASH service delivery and hygiene promotion.
- Assist in designing and delivering the Influencing and Enabling Programme at the provincial level to achieve programme objectives with a contribution to country strategic objectives and global aims.
- Develop operational plans, strategies including the budget for implementation of Influencing and Enabling Programmes at the provincial level in consultation with Head of Policy and Advocacy.
- Proactively analyse and review provincial level sector policies and plans and seek to influence provincial government and foreign aid assistance towards increasing and sustaining WASH services.
- With support from the P&A team, organise advocacy meetings / conferences and ensure that workshops and other events are well consolidated, organised and coordinated.
- Represent WAP at relevant WASH forums at the provincial level for lobbying, experience sharing, learning and profile building of WAP.
- Keep abreast of development landscape and work of other sector partners at the provincial level to target WAP’s advocacy work and identify new opportunities and regularly update senior management.
Support and contribute to programme management
- Generate new ideas and contribute to designing the programme, advocacy campaigns, concept papers, and funding proposals.
- Assist in scaling up of WAP’s successfully demonstrated models through provincial government and other sector actors for scale-up.
- Prepare project plans and budgets with relevance to policy & advocacy at the provincial level and create synergies with similar initiatives.
- Ensure WAP and or partner organisations involved in and contribution towards strategic consultative processes at the provincial level.
- Assist in preparation and update of Influencing and Enabling Programme and country strategy.
- Contribute to internal organisational discussions, the strategic direction of programmes and other management issues
- Work collaboratively with other programmes at the provincial level for integrating cross-programme activities and functions.
- Assist in exposure and experience sharing among partners & stakeholders for wider learning
Documentation and reporting
- Document and report progress made, and challenges encountered
- Support Communication leads to document the programme learning and disseminate key findings inside and outside WAP.
- Prepare concept notes and policy briefs on issues of importance to WAP/partners/government/sector at the provincial level.
- Periodically analyse outcomes and impact of WAP’s policy and advocacy work at the provincial level to document and share key learning and good practices using the organisational PM&E system.
- Support Head of I&E in preparation and submitting reports and documents to regional and UK teams and regularly update WA online databases and portals
Networking, collaboration and alliance building
- Facilitating state and district level engagements by WaterAid with government departments, civil society networks, partners and
- Support in identify key provincial sector players of relevance to policy and advocacy agenda of WAP and build working relationships/partnerships with such individuals and organisations wherever feasible.
- Establish a strong relationship with relevant provincial ministries/departments and other institutions for collaboration, support, capacity building and policy influencing.
- Establish a relationship with other provincial-level sector actors including UN and bilateral agencies, INGOs, CSOs, media and academic research institutions for learning and initiating joint programmes wherever feasible.
- Support in developing new partnerships and the implementation of the activities under the MoUs/LoUs signed by WaterAid.
- Assist partners to develop linkages with district and provincial government.
Administration and organisation development
- Facilitate programme visitors at the provincial level from within the country and abroad.
- Adhere to WaterAid’s policies/procedures including finance, human resources, security, procurement and logistics, and ensure compliance to WaterAid values.
- Putting in place systems for the smooth operation of the WAP provincial office.
- Submit an internal monthly report on the progress of the project and other reports as necessary.
Post-graduate / Masters’ degree in development studies, social sciences, public health, public policy, project management or development economics from a reputed university.
Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills in Urdu, Sindhi and English.
Demonstrated knowledge on WASH sector issues, advocacy networks and stakeholders.
Leadership qualities and working experience with government agencies
Minimum 7-10 years including at least 3 years of experience in an INGO or donor agency.
Excellent working knowledge of the development landscape and institutional ecosystem in Sindh.
Essential:Knowledge of political/ government structure and policy making process in Sindh would be preferred.
- Experience of working with legislators, decision-makers and line ministries.
- Knowledge on cross linkages of WASH with Health & Education Sectors would also be a preferred area of knowledge
- High quality written/ verbal communication skills including well-demonstrated lobbying ability
- Hands on experience in project formulation, management, administration.
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Able to produce high quality work under pressure and deadlines
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office (word, excel, outlook express, internet, power point)
- Experience of working in communities and building collaborative relationships.
- Ability to work in stressful conditions and remote geographical areas.