The Country Director for Operations and Finance will be responsible for overseeing the organization’s Operations and Finance functions across World Learning Pakistan projects, including smooth functioning of all finance, procurement, IT, HR administration and logistics functions. This senior-level position also contributes to the development and implementation of country organizational strategies, policies and practices with particular focus and attention on ensuring strong support services for delivering programming excellence.
Strategy & Vision
· Contribute to the country strategic planning process, budget and provide regular updates.
· Develop and organize activities of Finance and Operations Departments to provide timely and effective supports to projects to ensure objectives are met.
· Recognize opportunities for innovative action.
Team Management and Coordination Across World Learning Pakistan Projects
· Create and maintain systems for gathering relevant financial and operational data across projects for reporting to HQ and donors at a country level
· Contribute to cross-project coordination and country team-building efforts by holding regular meetings with finance and operations personnel across all World Learning projects., helping team members identify problem-solving options and ensuring the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
· Identify gaps and assist the operations and finance teams to improve performance
· Ensure operations and finance policies and procedures are harmonized across programs in accordance with World Learning Pakistan field manuals.
· Deliver training and provide capacity building opportunities for finance and operations staff.
Legal & Representation
· Represent World Learning finance and operations work in external and coordination forums.
· Under the guidance of the Country Representative, Country Security Director and headquarters liaise with government officials regarding World Learning registration needs (including MOUs and NOCs) and ensure regular reporting requirements are met with regards to registration.
Finance and Compliance
· Work with project staff and headquarters Finance Manager to roll-out implementation of Intacct financial management reporting system in Pakistan.
· Ensure compliance with World Learning, donor and government policies and procedures and maintain a strong system of internal control.
· Participate in the monthly and quarterly reviews of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals.
· Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting as required by donors, headquarters, partner organizations and the individual project Chiefs of Party.
· Oversee World Learning’s VAT/tax exemption processes, ensuring compliance with Pakistani law and donor requirements.
· Oversee World Learning’s Country Office annual audit and other external review processes.
· Develop and implement process improvement initiatives relating to operations and finance.
Operations Management – Logistics, Procurement, IT, Office Administration and Human Resources
· Ensure that systems are in place to track fleet maintenance schedules, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling as described in the World Learning Pakistan Operations Manual and in coordination with Country Security requirements.
· Create systems for receiving inventory registries from each project on a regular basis and maintain country level records. Ensure regular audits of inventory are conducted on each project.
· Ensure procurement records systems are well managed and maintained and are in line with World Learning and donor requirements as outlined in the World Learning Pakistan Operations Manual.
· Provide oversight support for ensuring compliance on Human Resource systems, leave tracking, and timesheets in line with World Learning Pakistan Human Resources Manual.
· Support country-level improvements in employee performance measurement systems, promotions, recruitment, retention, gender balance, and overall onboarding/departure processes.
· Provide oversight on tender openings on large value procurements, as required.
· Ensure all World Learning contracts and business transactions/relationships with suppliers are transparent and in compliance with country laws and World Learning/ donor policies.
· Work with World Learning headquarters and project specific IT personnel to identify challenges in current IT systems and propose solutions, including new platforms, where necessary. Also ensure that IT systems and policies are harmonized across projects.
· Oversee set-up and development of World Learning offices including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements, and IT. Maintain a record of all World Learning Pakistan leases and report changes to World Learning headquarters on a regular basis.
· Regularly review World Learning Pakistan Finance and Operations manuals with project staff and propose revisions to World Learning headquarters as necessary.
· Oversee and file management for administration, procurement, logistics resources documents.
· Participate as a member of the Crisis Management team.
New Business Development
· Providing cost proposal support to country-level business development efforts.
· Meeting with potential partners as necessary and provide capacity building supports as required during proposal stage for partner budgets and due diligence reviews.
· Providing operational guidance on proposals.
· Deep familiarity with the national and regional operations context of Pakistan;
· A minimum of 12-15 years of operations and finance experience. At least 5 years of this must have been in senior positions, analogous in terms of the scope of responsibilities to those set out in this Job Description.
· Preference for candidates with at least 5 years of experience gained at international NGOs or donor agencies – as an employee, or in consulting / advisory roles.
· Candidates with corporate sector experience are also highly encouraged.
· Knowledge of major USAID and other donor requirements and compliance issues.
· Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
· Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
· Fluent written and oral communication in English required.
· Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, government stakeholders, implementing partners, and US-based World Learning leadership and management.
· Excellent analytical ability, able to synthesize information from multiple sources, to produce sound advice, guidance, decisions and strategic and operational plans.
· Ability to handle difficult and even dangerous situations rationally and with a cool head, inspiring confidence at all levels in the decision-making process.
· Fluency in both written and oral English and Urdu – with demonstrably excellent written and oral skills. Knowledge of other local languages will be of additional value but is not a mandatory requirement of this role.
· The ability to lead through example, showing moral courage, integrity a strong work ethic and high standards of professional competence.
· A demonstrable team player- tolerant and coaching where needed, and even-handed in dealing with all staff, and never showing fear or favor – whether management or other staff, male or female, local national or international.
· Strong computer skills in MS office – especially PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook.