· Examines the patients directly reporting in the OPD in detail and records brief history, findings and probable diagnosis and treatment with date, time, signs and affixes name stamp.
· Advises the investigations if required.
· Prescribes medicines to be taken at home.
· Explains the patients about the use and effects of prescribed drugs.
· Refers the patients to the physician or other specialists as the case may be.
· Takes history of patients referred by other specialists and ensures that such patients are seen by the physician.
· Admits the patients on advice of the Specialist.
· Undertakes all life saving measures if needed e.g. CPR with full protocol.
· Records duties performed in the appropriate forms and registers provided.
· Admits the serious patients in the absence of the Specialist and informs.
Preventive / Promotive
· Remains aware of preventive programs launched from time to time by government or through donor funded programs and guides the patients accordingly.
· Provides guidance and advice on good nutritional practices including use of major micro nutrients for all age groups especially mothers.
· Provides Psychological, Social and Nutritional rehabilitation.
· Refers cases for physiotherapy which are considered clinically essential.
· Remains available in the OPD for routine duties as per notified time schedule.
· Ensures smooth functioning of the Medical OPD.
· Checks cleanliness and general maintenance of work area by the staff.
· Observes that staff performs their job in accordance with the job description.
· Checks that Medical/Surgical and other store items needed in the OPD are managed/dispensed with as per SOPs by the respective staff.
· Ensures that record of all activities of his OPD is maintained.
· Supervises all the members of staff placed under him.
· Performs any other professional duty assigned by the in charge.