The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Islamabad is pleased to announce three internships for a period of three months starting from 01 March 2020.
These internships allow for a general understanding of the ICRC, its mandate and activities in Pakistan and provide an opportunity for students to gain exposure to a real work environment of the ICRC.
The interns will be attached with IHL department of the ICRC. During the internship they will be engaged in number of tasks including legal research, drafting, vetting, organizing dissemination sessions, organizational and administrative support, translation and other assignments related to various activities of the ICRC delegation in Pakistan.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following, mandatory requirements:
- B.A./LLB and sound knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL).
- LL.M. in IHL will be given preference.
- Proficiency in English and Urdu (written and spoken)
- Excellent Computer skills (standard software)
- Proven ability and willingness to work in a cross-cultural environment
- Sound knowledge of the Pakistani legal system and International Humanitarian Law
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills
- Available for minimum 3 months or more.
- Graduates who had finished their studies in one of the above-mentioned disciplines not later than a year from the date of commencement of the internship
- The intern may be asked to perform duties and tasks not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other departments when necessary.
- For enrolled students, the applicant must provide in writing a permission of the full time availability for the internship period from the head of the department, in case the applicant is selected.
- Applications that do not fulfill the above conditions will not be considered.
Successful candidates will also meet the following criteria:
- A manifest interest for humanitarian action/issues and the ICRC.
- Ability to think strategically, to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, and to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Capacity for research and analytical writing.
- Capacity for thinking out-of-the-box and for generating ideas and initiatives.
- Flexibility and ability to assist with a variety of tasks.
- Recruited interns will be offered a 3-month paid contract with monthly stipend of PKR 15,000/-. The positions are based at ICRC office in Islamabad.
- Please note that ICRC will not provide any kind of boarding and lodging facility.
How to apply
- Each application should consists of the following three documents:
- A personal statement by the student, maximum 400 words, on his/her motivation for an internship at the ICRC; and
- Letter of recommendation from Dean/Head of Department;
- Do not send any documents other than the three listed above. Late or incomplete applications that do not meet the stated requirements, will not be considered.
- Owing to the high number of applications, NO information relating to the selection process or responses to personal queries can be provided.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The last date of application is Saturday, 15 February 2020.
List of Universities eligible to apply for the Internship program of ICRC
- University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir
- University Law College, University of the Punjab, Lahore
- Quaid Azam Law College, Lahore
- Fatimah Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi
- Iqra University Islamabad
- National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Islamabad
- Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi
- Quaid Azam University, Islamabad
- University Law College, Quetta
- Pakistan College of Law, Lahore
- Institute of Law, University of Sindh
- International Islamic University, Islamabad
- L’ecole for Advanced Studies, Karachi
- School of International Law, Islamabad
- School of Law, University of Karachi
- Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore
- School of Law, University of Gujrat
- University College Lahore
- Bahria University, Islamabad
- Indus College of Law (ICL) Hyderabad
- SZABIST, Karachi
- Institute of Legal Studies, Lahore
- Gillani Law College, Bahauddin Zakariya University Multan
- Islamabad School of Law
- The Islamia University of Bahawalpur
- Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto University of Law (SZABUL), Karachi
- The institute of Legal Studies, Multan
- Roots IVY University College; Islamabad
- The Millennium University College, Islamabad
- Jinnah Muslim College, Islamabad
- Hamdard School of Law, Hamdard University Karachi
- Superior College of Law, Lahore
- Federal Urdu University of Arts, Sciences and Technology, Islamabad
- University of Sargodha
- Roots College Lahore
- Mirza Khan Law College, Panno Akil – Sukkhur
- SALU Constituent Law College Naushahro Feroze
- Themis School of Law, Karachi
- Government Pir Illahi Bux Law College, Dadu
- Sindh Muslim Law College, Karachi
- The Institute of Legal Studies, Islamabad
- The Millennium University College - Karachi
- Punjab Law College, Sheikhupura
- Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore
- Islamia College, University Peshawar
- Law College Peshawar University
- Malakand University
- Hazara University, Manshera
- Law Department, Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University, Peshawar
- Gomal University, DI Khan
- Islamia Law College, Peshawar
- Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan
- International Relation Department, Peshawar
- Law department, University of Swat
- Frontier Law College, Peshawar