Job Specification for a Marketing Manager
The marketing manager is responsible for the overall management of the marketing department. The following requirements (job specifications) were determined by job analysis and derived from the job description as crucial for success in the marketing manager role.
The successful candidate for the marketing manager position will possess these qualifications.
Experience - Marketing Manager:
- At least two years of progressively more responsible positions in marketing, preferably in a similar industry in two different firms.
- Experience supervising and managing a professional staff of seven.
Education - Marketing Manager:
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing or a related field required.
- Masters in Business or Marketing preferred.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Characteristics - Marketing Manager
These are the most important qualifications of the individual selected as the marketing manager.
- Strong effective communicator.
- Highly developed, demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of a large team of diverse creative employees.
- Demonstrated ability to increase productivity and continuously improve methods, approaches, and departmental contribution. Commitment to continuous learning.
- Expert in the internet and social media strategy with a demonstrated track record.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in holding conversations with customers, customer evangelism, and customer-focused product development and outreach.
- Demonstrated ability to see the big picture and provide useful advice and input across the company.
- Ability to lead in an environment of constant change.
- Experience working in a flexible, environment. Structured or large company experience will not work here.
- Familiarity and skill with the tools of the trade in marketing including PR, written communication, website development, market research, product packaging, Microsoft software suite of products, visual communication software products, and creative services.
- Experience managing external PR and communication consulting firms and contractors.
- Experience in the global marketplace is a plus.
High-Level Overview of Job Requirements - Marketing Manager:
The selected marketing manager must be able to perform effectively in each of these areas:
- Researching and evaluating new product opportunities, demand for potential products, and customer needs and insights.
- Overall marketing strategy and execution of plans for the existing products.
- Serve as a partner to finance and product development in determining the viability of potential markets before production of a product with no business case or strategy prepared in advance.
- Working with product development teams to manage new product development.
- Managing launch campaigns for new products.
- Managing distribution channels for products.
- Ensuring effective, branded marketing communications including the company website, print communication, and advertising.
- Managing media and marketing staff and external PR agencies.
- Analysis of the effectiveness of all marketing efforts.