Position: Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator
Responsible To: SHC/CNC
Directly Managing: Nutrition Assistants, Outreach supervisor, NIS Officers, Nutritionists, WMOs (Sc)
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 9 months
Salary: TBD in line with national salary grid Grade G
Context and Background
Merlin is the UK’s leading international health charity, sending medical experts to the frontline of global emergencies and staying on to build lasting health systems. We entered Pakistan in 2005 after an earthquake in Jammu Kashmir left 75,000 dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. Since then we have expanded to provide a wide range of primary health care, malaria control, family planning, post abortion care and nutrition services to over 2.2 million people. We currently support 110 health facilities and ten hospitals, and have scaled up in times of emergency including the devastating floods of 2010 and 2011.
In Sindh, the province was worst affected by the floods of 2010 and hit again by severe rains in 2011, Merlin is providing health, nutrition and RH services in district Thatta, Badin, Dadu and Tharparkar. This includes treatment centres for communicable diseases like diarrhea, feeding programmes for severely and moderately malnourished children and vaccinations to protect children under the age of 5 from diseases such as polio.
In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, we are working in the Swat Valley, Peshawar, Buner and Nowshera districts – areas which are still confronting political instability, widespread militancy and displacement in wake of the conflict in neighbouring Afghanistan. Merlin has provided emergency healthcare to internally displaced people (IDPs) in Jalozai camp since 2009, which were scaled up at the start of 2012 following an influx of IDPs from Khyber Agency. As people return to the Swat valley, we are working with government of Pakistan to strengthen the country’s health system, including training lady health workers to provide family planning advice in an effort to stem maternal mortality
Main purpose of the Position:
Under the overall managerial and administrative leadership of the Senior Health Coordinator & Country Nutrition Coordinator, the Food Security and Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the food security and nutrition program. He/She will also facilitate a synergic relationship on food security and nutrition with Government (Department of Health, Provincial Nutrition Cell & PPHI) and other Organizations’ programmes within the targeted areas.
Specific tasks of position:
- advocacy, community participation and social mobilization
- specific nutrition interventions (Community based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM)
- Integrated Management of child hood illnesses and promotion of optimal breastfeeding and complementary feeding
- Nutrition surveillance through different surveys.
9. Provide input into the design, delivery and revision of the project, specifically those that increase the capacity of the staff to implement the project successfully.
15. Provide regular feedback from key persons, including partners, residents, and vulnerable groups, ongoing programme activities.
17. Represent Merlin’s Food Security & Nutrition Programme on different forums including cluster meetings, district coordination meetings and to other international organization working on food security and Nutrition in the area.
18. Any other related tasks at the request by the SHC, CNC and Program Manager.
} Experience of working in nutrition related programs with its linkages to Food Security initiatives.
Today, Merlin is the UK's leading charity specializing in international health, sending medical experts to the front line of global emergencies. When disaster strikes, our doctors and nurses work around the clock to save lives fast. Working together with tireless health workers on the ground, we tak ...Read More