To lead and coordinate the project activities with district government and partners for smooth implementation of project.
Introduction and background
Welthungerhilfe (WHH), founded in 1962 under the auspices of the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), is one of the first global initiatives aimed at eliminating hunger and today one of the biggest aid agencies in Germany.
WHH has initially established as a support office for Afghanistan during 1997 in Peshawar, Welthungerhilfe initiated its programme in Pakistan in response to the 2005 earthquake to provide support to the effected districts in Khyber Pakhtun Khwa (KP) and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK). WHH wound up its office in March 2010, only to resume its programming in August 2010 in response to the 2010 Mega floods that hit Pakistan. Between March and August 2010, WHH continued its interventions in Pakistan through its Alliance 2015 partners. In 2012, WHH implementation methodology, saw a paradigm shift, from self-implementation to implementing all projects with local partners. Today Welthungerhilfe Pakistan is working with national partners in KPK, Punjab and Sindh as well in cooperation with international partners e.g. Alliance2015. Welthungerhilfe is largely supported by the German public, but also through institutional donors such as the European Union, the German Foreign Office, Department for International Development (DFID) and others. Welthungerhilfe Pakistan aims to support the most vulnerable and marginalized population of Pakistan affected by natural and man-made disasters by building resilience at household and community level.
Overview of the post
WHH implements sector-specific as well as integrated emergency response and development projects. Under the current context all projects include COVID-19 response/precautionary mechanisms. The position will focus on providing technical advice to a COVID-19 response project supporting health facilities and services, implemented through a consortium of INGOs and in cooperation with local implementing partners, in Sindh. The position is based in Sindh.
The Public Health Engineer will be expected to lead and supervise the implementation of project interventions related to respective WASH components and provide technical advice to WHH and implementing partners in ensuring high quality deliverables. As a Public Health Engineer , the incumbent coordinates the development of strategic partnerships, required to support the emergency response provided under the project. S/he will liaise with the project partners, district government health facilities, government requirements and contextual developments. S/he will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the WHH implementing partners and to regularly monitor the project activities. S/he will technically advise procurement, provision as well as utilization of WASH related work in health facilities. The position will ensure the WASH standards are met through design and implementation of activities. S/he will support the Program Manager and Partner technical staff in technical areas of project implementation, partner capacity building, quality assurance and reporting. S/he will actively participate in all project consortium WASH related and WASH and Health working group meetings and supervise all aspects of the WHH’s related WASH program, with a focus on timely and quality results, teamwork, participation, empowerment, accountability and impact for stakeholder, target groups and final beneficiaries. The position ensures that WASH related communication, equipment and methodologies comply with government and sector-lead requirements and reach affected populations. S/he will perform other position-related tasks, as required and directed by the PM.
Main Role and Responsibility for the Public Health Engineer are:
1- Supervisory responsibilities:
· Technically advise and support the partners in implementing high-quality programs that adheres to requisite rules and guidelines and ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, and sustainability in implementation.
· Advice on multi-sectoral technical assessments in coordination with other thematic areas.
· Work closely with the Knowledge Management and Learning team and put in place a Health sector MEAL plan, ensuring that it links to reporting requirements, and build capacity of technical field staff in carrying out the work.
· Ensure that the public health promotion activities are appropriate to the needs of the beneficiaries; support the WASH technical working group in development of RCCE materials.
· Ensure that Implementing Partners are working in compliance within WHH gender and Emergency framework under health response. Participate/lead initial and ongoing assessments of the public health needs of affected communities and make program recommendations according to findings.
· Plan, manage, and/or support context-specific community based epidemic control and disease prevention activities.
· Design, manage and/or support disease monitoring and community-based surveillance activities.
· Design, manage and/or carry out activities related to public health specific activities; ensure lessons learned are shared with relevant stakeholders and/or are actioned appropriately.
· Coordinate with key organizations (local health departments, government representatives, partner organizations, domestic counterparts, etc.) on a regular basis.
· Contribute to team sit-reps and other internal/external reports as required.
· Contribute to a positive team environment and service excellence to meet the needs of beneficiaries
· Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
· Together with other staff members, facilitate and organize training for community Volunteers on basics of hygiene and key health activities
· Contribute in promoting effective use of latrines and safe water usage
· Follow and ensure that gender, protection, local culture, and other important cross-cutting concerns are considered in program implementation, and reporting
· Track and prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress reports of activities relates to WASH KPIs/indicators; including documentation of key lessons learnt and successes stories
· Provide technical assistance and troubleshooting in smooth execution of the project
· Plan the timely completion of planned WASH infrastructure activities as per Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and according to approved design, standards and quality Performance standards
· Provide technical support to WHH /partner staff during field visits to ensure the execution of WASH activities as per approved design and standards:
· Provide support to the partners in execution of the projects so that they are adhered with WHH, ECHO policies, technical guidelines etc.
· Technically review the tender documents before advertisement regarding quantities, specifications, units and other liabilities that are required from supplier as per approved design of the project
· To check and maintain the quality of materials/Supply as per approved samples and quality Performance Standards
· Submit bifurcated work plans to project Coordinator for the assigned targets
· Submit progress reports to Program Manager on daily/weekly/monthly basis (whichever required)
· Understanding of local community and related cultural sensitivities; and People Management in the Infrastructure / Construction Sector
· Provide technical support and timely feedback teams on WASH strategies
2- Technical Responsibilities:
· Stay up to date with international and local state-of-the-art health’s technical approaches, analyze and interpret policy, strategy, and technical documents to ensure WHH’s health activities are aligned with.
· Extend support to Consortium partners health intervention, e.g. dissemination of information about psychosocial support, RCCE/communication, etc.
· Develop and maintain an extensive network of key public health contacts.
· Represent WHH in sectorial technical working groups and coordination meetings in support to Program Managers.
· Regularly coordinate with partners and stakeholders.
Qualification and Skills/Compentencies required:
· Minimum bachelor’s degree in public health related degree program B-Tech /BSC Civil Engineering/Public Health Engineering/Environmental engineering
· Minimum 2-4 years’ working experience in relevant field, preferably in development sector
· Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
· Knowledge of public health, experience and understanding of Health & Hygiene and community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation and/or Public health education activities and/or program
· Knowledge and experience in providing formal and informal training for staff and community members
· Good communication skills and ability to work well in a team
· Must have knowledge of Computer operation and use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), Autocad
· Strong coordination skills with the ability to manage information (report writing and presentations).
· Substantive experience in developing and promoting collaborative partnerships in emergency and humanitarian relief operations, coordination, representation, and negotiation.
· Excellent demonstrated communication and negotiation skills. Fluent in English, Urdu. speaking Sindhi could be an added value. Excellent writing skills (assessments, reports.) Ability to convene stakeholders and facilitate a policy process among UN, national and international NGOs, national health authorities and donors Strong problem-solving and organizational skills in day to day and crisis situations Flexibility, and able to adjust to changing context and situations
Key Working Relationships: Project team, Program Managers, Implementing partners, MEAL department, WASH technical advisor ,Consortium members, Logistic Department, WHH Emergency Response Team, WHH Agriculture and Nutrition Advisor,
Key Knowledge required:
· Excellent knowledge of Government structure, institutions and procedures (Particularly in Sindh);
· A good knowledge of Government legislation relating to development assistance, public health and WASH, as well as WHH programming policies, regulations, procedures and documentation and of the objectives, methodology and status of the programs and projects to which assigned.
· Familiarity with capacities and constraints of NGOs active in WASH and Health activities in Pakistan
The position holder should work in a client and team-oriented manner and adhere to standards as described in the “Welthungerhilfe Code of Conduct”. Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV will be considered. Please provide references, but do not attach any written recommendations.
Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community."
Today, Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest non-governmental organizations in Germany. Non-profit making, non-denominational and politically independent, it is run by a board of honorary members under the patronage of the Federal Republic of Germany. Its work is funded by private donations and publ ...مزید پڑھیں