The Principal will be responsible for providing leadership, developing goals and objectives for the school, and preparing strategies and aerogrammes to achieve these goals.
S/he will be responsible for maintaining a high standard of education in the institution as well as for providing an open and conducive learning environment.
Main purpose of the job:
(a) Promote academic excellence
(b) Ensuring profitable institution
(c) Capacity building & training of teachers
(d) managing staff and resources
(e) monitoring students progress towards their achievement
Major Responsibilities of Principal:
Strategic Direction and Development
- Working with the Higher Management to contribute to a strategic view for the school in its community and analyse and plan for its future needs and further development within the local, national and international context.
- Demonstrating high standards of personal integrity, loyalty, discretion and professionalism.
- Taking a senior role in our local network of schools and attending the meetings of SMT.
Teaching and Learning
- Providing an example of excellence as a leading classroom practitioner and inspiring and motivating other staff.
- Working closely with Staff members and Governors to sustain high expectations and excellent practice in teaching and learning throughout the school.
- Monitoring and evaluating the quality of teaching and standards of pupils’ achievement and use benchmarks and set targets for improvement. Also to provide support in pupil progress meetings and to be a performance management reviewer for staff.
Leading and Managing Staff
- Working with Staff members to lead, motivate, support, challenge and develop all staff to secure continual improvement..
- Take responsibility as a mentor for student teachers and work experience pupils
- Assist with the appointment of staff and provide monitoring and support for teachers, and students as necessary.
Efficient and Effective Deployment of Staff and Resources
- In consultation with the school Bursar and by direction of the SMT, deploy people and resources efficiently and effectively to meet specific objectives in line with the school’s plan and financial context.
Be the schools Inclusion Leader.
This includes being the Special Educational Needs Coordinator. In this she/HE will be responsible for the provision of:
- Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
- Looked after children.
- Poor attendance, persistent lateness.
- Safeguarding concerns.
- Medical needs and /or disabilities.
- Emotional, social and behavioral difficulties.
Further to this, to be responsible for:
- Developing and maintaining a Provision Map for the school.
- Children who are Able, Gifted and Talented.
- Assessment, Recording and Reporting, including Pupil Progress tracking.
- Manage the budget.
- Keep abreast of changes to legislation and ensure that policies and procedures are updated to reflect any changes.
- Communicate with parents on children’s needs and interventions. Record such communications and make the head teacher aware of any issues that are likely to escalate or cause problems.
- Be one of the designated persons for Safeguarding:
- Establish procedures for recording and reporting.
- Ensure staff training is up to date.
- Liaise effectively with all outside agencies.
- Be a member of the Health and Safety Committee.
- Be the Child Protection Officer.
- Manage Risk Assessments and be the Educational Visits Coordinator.
- Share the responsibility with the Head teacher for the maintenance of high standards or behavior, positive staff and pupil attitudes and site safety.
- Take a major role in the a day-to day running of the school.
- Contribute significantly to a positive ethos for learning.
- Provide an exciting, stimulating and creative curriculum.
- Promote the values and achievements of the school to the community.
- Coordinate and assist in leading creative assemblies and whole school events.
- Support the head teacher and SMT in annual budget planning and monitoring.
- Assist in the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the School Improvement Plan and pupil progress tracking information.
- Lead a core subject.
- Undertake such reasonable activities as the Head teacher and Governors may from time to time require.