• Obtaining referrals and pre-authorizations as required for procedures.
• Checking eligibility and benefits verification for treatments, hospitalizations, and procedures.
• Reviewing patient bills for accuracy and completeness, and obtaining any missing information.
• Preparing, reviewing, and transmitting claims using billing software, including electronic and paper claim processing.
• Following up on unpaid claims within standard billing cycle timeframe.
• Checking each insurance payment for accuracy and compliance with contract discount.
• Calling insurance companies regarding any discrepancy in payments if necessary
• Identifying and billing secondary or tertiary insurances.
• Reviewing accounts for insurance of patient follow-up.
• Researching and appealing denied claims.
• Answering all patient or insurance telephone inquiries pertaining to assigned accounts.
• Setting up patient payment plans and work collection accounts.
• Updating billing software with rate changes.
• Updating cash spreadsheets, and running collection reports.
In addition to these general duties, an individual employer may request that you perform other duties that fit with your training and background experience or provide further training for new duties.