HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICER (related titles: personnel officer, staff officer, equal employment opportunities officer)
A human resources officer helps to look after staff welfare and may specialize in one of the following areas: recruitment, compensation and benefits, occupational health and safety, operations,training and development.
- assists in preparing the payroll and banking in employees’ monthly pay
- writes job descriptions
- advertises available jobs
- may help shortlist and interview people for jobs
- assists in managing the recruitment area of the company website
- assists in staff appraisal exercises
- assists in staff training and development programmers
- talks to staff about personal or work problems
- mediates in workplace disputes
- may be involved in the implementation of human resources information systems
- may be involved in long-term strategic human resources planning and policy
PREFERRED PERSONAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Human Resources officers must genuinely be concerned about peoples’ welfare.
- They must understand how employees contribute to an organization’s success and be able to contribute to strategies to retain and develop these employees.
- On a day to day basis, they should have good people and communication skills.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills are also important.
- An eye for detail, a meticulous work ethic, and good time-planning help in juggling the multiple and often administrative tasks that a human resources officer must handle.
- In most organizations, it is essential that the human resources officers are computer literate and manage minor projects.
- Last but not least, a cheerful disposition and a keen interest in keeping up with the latest HR developments help.
- Corporations usually prefer graduates who have specialized in human resources, psychology or industrial relations.
- In smaller firms, a diploma or certificate in business or administration may suffice.
- If one wishes to work one’s way up to be involved in Strategic HR issues, an MBA or any business related Masters Degree is usually required.