Deutsche Welthungerhilfe through local partners is implementing a ‘Sustainable Food & Nutrition Security Programme - SFNS’ in Thar region of Sindh province since 2015; to improve nutrition situation in drought prone areas. The programme comprises of several short- to medium- & long-term interventions, funded by German donors in order to address causes of malnutrition in region.
The programme relies on several baseline studies and operational researches to contribute to the improve the quality of the intervention & to highlight the issues & underlying causes of chronic malnutrition in region. These studies and researches during the programme also aid in measuring achievement of milestones and project indicators over the time.
Deutsche Welthungerhilfe commissioned an integrated SMART survey in year 2017, based on a SMART survey year before; which leads the programme to build a formal causal analysis of malnutrition in region through Link NCA. The findings of this LinkNCA are proposed to be widely disseminated amongst provincial & national stakeholders and used by Deutsche Welthungerhilfe in current & future programming in Thar desert.”
Deutsche Welthungerhilfe – Pakistan are looking for a highly skilled, creative Link NCA Analyst, provide technical support to the Deutsche Welthungerhilfe on Link NCA, what it is all about, the steps, and key areas/issues to adhere to. The person will lead the Link NCA process for Deutsche Welthungerhilfe while providing technical oversight and support to the SFNS programme in Sindh province.
The Link NCA analyst (qualitative) is expected to lead the preparatory phase to determine specific needs. This will include a detailed secondary review of existing work & lead the process.
3) Expected Activities/Scope of Work:
- Secondary data review and conduct interviews with stakeholder to identify hypothetical causes of undernutrition
- Ensure adequate preparation and planning required for the study, including identifying and necessary resources, hiring the link NCA team to implement the study, and determining timelines.
- Oversee statistical analysis of secondary database to include review, discussions by local experts and stakeholders through a consultative process (workshop and/or meeting, interviews…).
- Conduct and supervise the qualitative fieldwork
- Analyze the qualitative data
- Triangulation of qualitative and quantitative data
- Presentation of the results of the Link NCA
4) Expected deliverables:
- Build the qualitative tools and define fieldwork methodology
- Facilitation of the final workshop to provide operational recommendations
- Write the Link NCA report
5) Delivery timeline:
TORs are subject to adjustment in scope, activities, deliverables and delivery date after consultation with the selected consultant.
6) Educational background:
- At least a master’s degree in anthropology, sociology or related social sciences domains; and when possible in one of field of expertise related to nutrition security
- Should be LinkNCA Certified
- Background in Statistics or epidemiology, with experience in implementing household surveys (DHS, MICS, SMART, CAP…)
7) Professional background and Knowledge:
Should have proven experience of carrying out LinkNCA
- Previous experience and demonstrated skills in applied research in particular qualitative research, writing and analytical skills (at least 5 years), (may be required to produce sample of pervious report)
- Previous experience in a development or humanitarian context, in particular management and programming experiences
- Broad knowledge and experience of nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive principles and programming
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience and understanding of Pakistan context is strongly recommended
8) Required Core Competencies & behaviour:
- Excellent command of written and spoken English & Urdu,
- Good working knowledge of MS Office and modern telecommunication systems,
- Demonstrating the leadership
- Achieving results in accountable way by using the available resources
- Understanding the humanitarian context
- Maintain ethical and professional behavior in accordance with the relevant code of conduct