A UK based company is looking for:
Position Title: Fashion designer
Department: Fashion designing
Experience: 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Create or visualize an idea and produce a design by hand or using computer-aided design (CAD).
- Create mood boards to show to clients.
- Keep up to date with emerging fashion trends as well as general trends relating to fabrics, colors and shapes.
- Plan and develop ranges, often based on a theme.
- Work with others in the design team, such as buyers and forecasters, to develop products to meet a brief.
- Liaise closely with sales, buying and production teams on an ongoing basis to ensure items suit the customer, market and price points.
- Understand design from a technical perspective, i.e. producing patterns and technical specifications for designs.
- Visit trade shows and manufacturers to source, select and buy fabrics, trims, fastenings and embellishments.
- Adapt existing designs for mass production.
- Develop a pattern that is cut and sewn into sample garments and supervise the creation of these, including fitting, detailing and adaptations.
- Oversee production.
- Negotiate with customers and suppliers.
- Showcase your designs at fashion and other trade shows.
- Work with models to try out your designs and also to wear them on the catwalk at fashion shows.
- Manage marketing, finances and other business activities, if working on a self-employed basis.
- Creativity, innovation and flair
- An eye for color and a feel for fabrics and materials
- The ability to generate ideas and concepts, use your initiative and think outside the box
- Design and visualization skills, either by hand or through computer-aided design (CAD)
- Technical skills, including pattern cutting and sewing
- Garment technology skills and knowledge
- A proactive approach
- Commercial awareness and business orientation
- Self-promotion and confidence
- Interpersonal, communication and networking skills
- The ability to negotiate and to influence others
- Team working skills
- Good organisation and time management.
Fashion design is a very competitive industry and you'll typically need a degree, HND or foundation degree in a subject that combines both technical and design skills. Relevant subjects include:
- Art and design
- Fashion designing
- Fashion business
- Fashion buying, marketing and communication
- Garment technology
- Graphic design
- Textiles and textile design.