The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, taxation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager will have contact with senior-level Attorneys and the firm’s Executive Director and Controller, which require strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Delivering a full range of tax services in compliance with laws and regulations within timeframe.
- Providing innovative tax planning and reviewing complex income tax returns.
- Manage tax provision and tax compliance process
- Improve processes by developing or implementing best practices
- Manage and coordinate tax audits and maintain tax balances on general ledger.
- Prepare all tax papers in regular basis and handle all information data requests.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Assist the Controller in the daily banking requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborates with General Petroleum’s managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Responds to inquiries from the Managing Director and Director of Finance, Controller, and other finance and firm regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the CEO and Managing Director to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Proven work experience as a tax manager, excellent knowledge of tax accounting, tax compliance and all types of tax returns.
Cost Accounting Expert Business with an emphasis in Accounting, CPA required.
Technical Skills and Prior Experience:
Five to seven years’ prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area
Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting? Experience with Oracle or other large automated accounting system a plus. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word