A Career Development Adviser will engage with the undergraduate students to help them explore relevant career information and guide them in making realistic and thoughtful choices about their future which may include acquiring a relevant employment or getting admission into a grad school or initiating their own enterprise. The Adviser will also be responsible for designing and conducting career skill building programs in collaboration with faculty and industry experts to help students for the smooth transition from University to their future destination. The Adviser will be required to develop a variety of career resources to help students for building their skills and enhancing their knowledge about various careers, processes and tools. The help, advice and training will include but not limited to guide students for developing thoughtful career plans, teaching them job search skills, helping them in networking with relevant industries, advising on how to write a good CV and covering letter, assisting with the grad school application process, preparing them for interviews, guiding them to develop appropriate tools to introduce themselves and showcase their skill set etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Career Advising and Guidance
- Meet with the students on one-to-one or in small groups to discuss their career aspirations and plans and help them to reflect on their ideas to further refine them.
- Facilitate the students in developing their action plans for employment to graduate school admission or working for their own enterprise.
- Help students in identifying knowledge and skills they need to acquire to fulfill their career aspirations
- Guide students in developing their video profiles, CVs, resumes, cover letters and other tools
- Support students in understanding the current job market and its trends
- Maintain the data of student advising Engage students in using various technology and other tools for personal assessment of skills and interests.
Career Training and Events
- Plan and conduct trainings/workshops to help students in developing the career skills essential for a smooth transition from University to market/grad school
- Educate students for developing appropriate social media profiles and other tools to showcase their talents, potentials and achievements
- Arrange for mock interviews, CV assessment sessions and other events supporting the career development of students
- Arrange technical training sessions for students as per need
- Arrange workshops for students to learn to write personal statement, graduated school application process and learn the basics of entrepreneurships
- Connect students with career mentors
- Arrange networking sessions for the students
- Supporting career office in organizing career fairs and recruitment drives
Career Resource Development
- Develop print, electronic and social media resources for students related to various aspects of career skills, trends, scope of various career options, graduate school related resources etc.
Career Related Research
- Undertake research to keep up to date with employment information, best practices adopted by Career Services globally, legislation, and professional and academic developments by visiting employers, training providers and training events run by educational and professional bodies.
- Building External/Internal Network
- Connect with the trainers, employers and mentors to engage them in the career development process of students
- Engaging HU community i.e. staff, faculty, parents as resources for students to learn and collaborate with during their academic journey