The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees required to flee from war or disaster and implements programs to rebuild and restore communities and services over the longer-term. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Pakistan for over 30 years, and manages and delivers large, complex programs to meet needs in health, education, protection, environmental health and livelihoods for displaced, poor and conflict-affected communities. The IRC works in partnership with local government and non-governmental organizations and currently works in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, Baluchistan and Sindh provinces.
The IRC is currently recruiting a Provincial Coordinator to oversee program and operations of the projects to be implemented in Baluchistan province.
- The Provincial Coordinator will provide strategic and operational leadership and assume the overall responsibility for the implementation and coordination of Multi-Year Programs in the province.
- The Provincial coordinator must bring a senior leadership profile with a proven track record in managing education, livelihoods and protection programming delivery in fragile and conflict affected areas/countries.
- The Job holder is expected to establish strong relationship with provincial and district government line departments and private sectors for IRC strategic positioning in the province as well as smooth delivery of programs in line with government and donor priorities.
- The job holder is expected to practice decision-making at strategic and operational level with a high degree of judgment based on specific problem solving experience, drawing on a range of external and internal factors.
- He will work closely with the other support department in IRC for the smooth operational management and program delivery.
Management and Coordination
- Provide strategic oversight to overall programme management, inter and intra department coordination and collaboration, team building, partnership management and the creation of external partnerships with key stakeholders in the province.
- Ensure IRC projects are appropriately staffed across main members, including the appropriate combination of expertise across technical and operational areas.
- Strengthening partnership with the partners and ensure that partners support plan is implemented as per plan.
- Responsible to oversee consortium and implementing partners activities in line with the work plans and spending plans.
- Ensure regular meetings of consortium and implementing partners and other stake holders to discuss project progress, identify and resolve projects-related problems and plan implementation.
- Work with downstream partners to ensure that all provincial / district-level approvals are obtained prior to start of implementation New Business Development.
- Provide inputs into program design and needs analysis for new programming in Baluchistan province.
- Assist in reviewing the proposals in coordination with Technical Coordinators and AMU.
- Provide regular updates/ inputs in the SAP – IP and SAP quarterly reports.
Representation and Communication
- Effectively represent the IRC Pakistan at different district and provincial level forums.
- Facilitate visits to the project site by stakeholders including the donors.
- Have open and ongoing dialogue with the donor and other agencies in all the project areas.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of provincial level advocacy particularly with Department of Education, Social Welfare and Women Development Department, B-TVETA and Commissionerate for Afghan Refugee and Ministry of SAFRON.
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with provincial government, UN agencies particularly UNHCR and UNICEF consortium partners, implementing partners. Program Management – Planning, Monitoring and Reporting.
- Work closely with operations (Supply chain, IT, HR), finance and grants to coordinate to ensure quality, timely implementation and development of programs, including providing oversight over the budget versus actual, indicator tracking tools, and other grant management tools used by the IRC; participation in monthly grant review meetings; and regular monitoring of internal program purchase request tools.
- Supervise project teams to ensure the implementation in conformity with the IRC SAP, program frame work promoting and protecting rights, capacity building, partnership, and holistic planning.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
- Lead quarterly and annual review of the projects and partnerships at the provincial level.
- Through the established MEAL system, deliver results-based programming and provide evidence of impact.
- Support MEAL in establishing an efficient and robust Client responsiveness mechanism across all projects sites.
- Ensure to bring Good and Great standards and practices in practice across project cycle.
- With support of Communication manager, lead documentation and sharing of knowledge and emerging practices, case studies, best practices etc., from the program internally and externally with the wider stakeholder audience, as appropriate.
- Foster an integrated approach by coordinating and cooperating with all thematic areas (Formal and non-formal education, protection & livelihoods), during the implementation of the programs.
- Close follow up on the project implementation, procurement, spending communication and MEL plans of IRC as well as partner organizations for the timely and smooth delivery of projects as agreed with donor.
- Ensure the regular staff orientation and full compliance with IRC Way including but not limited to child safeguarding policies and procedures in programs and operations and support Sr. Protection, Inclusion and Safeguarding Coordinator in CSG audit and implementation of safeguarding actions according to work plan. Financial Management.
- Monitor expenditure of IRC, consortium partners and implementing partners budgets against planned activities and project progress.
- Address budget over or under spending, budget amendments etc. and communicate to all concerned.
- Participate in Project cycle meetings (PCMs) and present programmatic and financial progress and challenges
- Assist DDP in regular monitoring and monthly reporting on all grants’ management aspects, budget and actual expenses analysis, work-plan progress and updating, procurement plan revision, data collection and analysis and monitoring of indicators. Personnel Management.
- Work closely with HR to conduct and finalize recruitment of all open/vacant positon.
- Ensure that all staff is aware of and trained on their core responsibilities.
- Coordinate, supervise and provide support to field staff based in Quetta and district and line department offices.
- Ensure performance management is implemented within the projects. This includes ensuring that all staff has job descriptions, work plans and have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance regularly.
- In collaboration with the HR, ensure that staff understand and comply with all relevant IRC policies and procedures.
Position Reports to: Deputy Director Programs
Position directly supervises: Senior Project Manager – TEACH project, Consortium and Implementing Partners
Indirect Reporting: Child Protection Manager, Education Project Manager, M&E officers / Assistants
Close working relationship: Senior Management Team, Operations: HR, Supply Chain and IT, Security, Finance Coordinator, SAP / Program Support Manager, TEACH Team leader, Communication, MEL, and ECU Coordinators, Technical Coordinator and Award Management Unit.
- Master Degree in Social Sciences, project management or related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with I/NGOs in managing multiyear, consortium programs and operations at senior level in both humanitarian and development sector
- Demonstrable experience of working with Afghan refugees, displaced population and other vulnerable groups
- Working experience with consortium and implementing partners (desirable)
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Advanced knowledge of the software (Microsoft Windows, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint),
- Experience in large portfolio, multisector integrated programs and operation management and report writing
- Demonstrable leadership, team management and development, decision making and analytical skills
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to analyze data for projects course correction
- Excellent communication, coordination and representation skills, including the ability to create and deliver presentations
- Past work experience in implementation of integrated projects directly as well as through consortium and implementing partner/s.
- Understanding of local context
Strong English and Urdu language skills both written and oral; knowledge of local languages will be added value. The IRC Core Values and Commitments;
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
IRC is committed to ensuring that IRC staff is suitable to work with children and have the knowledge s/he needs to uphold and abide by the IRC’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
Level of interaction with children: Frequent direct contact with children
IRC recognizes that gender equality is fundamental to the achievement of our organizational mission. As such, IRC is committed to the promotion of gender equality in all aspects of our operations and programs. Our organizational policies, procedures, and actions demonstrate this commitment. Women candidates and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply