Come work at SGM, We are looking to hire an experienced Legal Assistant to join our existing top-notch team. Enhances attorney effectiveness by developing case information, evidence, and settlement options; tracking cases; supporting attorney's trial proceedings. If you're a passionate self-starter, SGM is an excellent place to get ahead. A Legal Assistant Job description should cite some of the below tasks and objectives:
Responsibilities and Accountability
As Legal Assistant, You'll need to:
- Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software; confirming case status with attorney.
- Helps develop cases by maintaining contact with people involved in the case; scheduling depositions; preparing and forwarding summonses and subpoenas; draft and proofread correspondence and legal documents, such as pleadings and contracts. Requests; preparing responses to opposing counsel; generating status reports.
- Keeps clients informed by maintaining contact; communicating case progress.
- Supports case preparation by preparing case summaries and materials for mediation conferences; preparing pleadings; monitoring and obtaining discovery responses; organizing materials for a team case review.
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed; taking courtroom notes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
Legal Assistant Skills and Qualifications
You'll need to have:
- Reporting Skills, Research Skills, Legal Administration Skills, Litigation, Client Relationships, Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality, Dependability, and Client Confidentiality.
- Associate's degree in paralegal studies, a paralegal certificate or a Bachelor's degree preferred
- 1-5 years of experience as an administrative assistant (preferably in a law firm or in a corporate legal department), legal assistant, legal secretary, or paralegal
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and professional demeanour
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work independently, manage large workloads, and keep deadlines