SCOPE OF WORK:
Reporting to the CR, the Country Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) will be responsible for overseeing the organization’s Operations and Finance functions across WL Pakistan projects, including smooth functioning of all finance, procurement, IT, administration and logistics functions. This senior-level position also contributes to the development and implementation of country organizational strategies, policies and practices with particular focus and attention on ensuring strong support services for delivering programming excellence.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Strategy & Vision
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process, budget and provide regular updates.
- Develop and organize activities of Operations Department to provide timely and effective support to program to ensure objectives are met.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action.
- Team Management and Coordination Across WL Pakistan Projects
- Create and maintain systems for gathering relevant financial and operational data across projects for reporting to HQ and donors at a country level (versus only at a project level).
- Contribute to coordination and country team-building efforts by holding regular meetings with finance and operations personnel across all WL projects., helping team members identify problem-solving options and ensuring the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Identify gaps and systems breakdowns and assist the operations and finance team to be able to achieve the objectives.
- Ensure operations and finance policies and procedures are harmonized as much as possible across programs in accordance with WL Pakistan field manuals.
- Deliver training and provide capacity building opportunities for finance and operations staff.
Legal & Representation
- Represent World Learning finance and operations work in external and coordination forums, such as the Pakistan Humanitarian Forum.
- Under the guidance of headquarters and the Country Representative, liaise with government officials regarding World Learning registration. Ensure regular reporting requirements are met with regards to registration.
- Working closely with the Country Representative, Country Security Director and headquarters, liaise with relevant GoP authorities regarding MOUs and NOCs.
- Ensure compliance of procedures to respond to different donor and government specific reporting requirements.
- Working with headquarters Finance Manager, lead roll-out and implementation of Intacct financial management reporting system in Pakistan.
- Participate in the monthly and quarterly review of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals.
- Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting as required by donors, head quarters, partner organizations and the individual project Chiefs of Party.
- Oversee World Learning’s VAT/tax exemption processes, ensuring compliance with Pakistani law and donor requirements.
- Oversee World Learning’s Country Office annual audit and other external review processes.
- Develop and implement process improvement initiatives relating to operations and finance.
Operations Management – Logistics, Procurement, IT and Office Administration
- Ensure that systems are in place to track fleet maintenance schedules, fuel usage and vehicle scheduling as described in the WL Pakistan Operations Manual.
- Create system for receiving inventory registries from each project on a regular basis and maintain country level records. Ensure regular audits of inventory are conducted on each project.
- Ensure procurement records systems are well managed and maintained and are in line with WL and donor requirements as outlined in the WL Pakistan Operations Manual.
- Chair tender openings on large value procurements, as required.
- Ensure all World Learning contracts and business transactions/relationships with suppliers are transparent and in compliance with country laws and World Learning/ donor policies.
- Work with WL headquarters and project specific IT personnel to identify challenges in current IT systems and propose solutions, including new platforms, where necessary. Work with WL headquarters and project specific IT personnel to ensure IT systems and policies are harmonized as much as possible across projects.
- Oversee set-up and development of World Learning offices including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements, and IT. Maintain a record of all WL Pakistan leases and report any changes to WL headquarters on a regular basis.
- Regularly review WL Pakistan Finance and Operations manuals and propose revisions to WL headquarters as necessary.
- Oversee and file management for administration, procurement, logistics resources documents.
- Participate as a member of the Crisis Management team.
New Business Development
- Providing cost proposal support to HQ business development efforts.
- Meeting with potential partners as necessary.
- Providing operational guidance on proposal
Demonstrated Skills and Experience:
- Deep familiarity with the national and regional operations context of Pakistan;
- A minimum of 12-15 years of operations and finance experience. At least 5 years of this must have been in senior positions, analogous in terms of the scope of responsibilities to those set out in this Job Description.
- Preference for candidates with at least 5 years of experience gained at international NGOs or donor agencies – as an employee, or in consulting / advisory roles.
- Candidates with corporate sector experience are also highly encouraged.
- Knowledge of major USAID and other donor requirements and compliance issues.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Fluent written and oral communication in English required.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, government stakeholders, implementing partners, and US-based WL leadership and management.
- Excellent analytical ability, able to synthesize information from multiple sources, to produce sound advice, guidance, decisions and strategic and operational plans.
- Ability to handle difficult and even dangerous situations rationally and with a cool head, inspiring confidence at all levels in the Country DFO decision-making.
- Fluency in both written and oral English and Urdu – with demonstrably excellent written and oral skills. Knowledge of other local languages will be of additional value, but is not a mandatory requirement of this role.
- The ability to lead through example, showing moral courage, integrity a strong work ethic and high standards of professional competence.
- A demonstrable team player- tolerant and coaching where needed, and even-handed in dealing with all staff, and never showing fear or favor – whether management or other staff, male or female, local national or international.
- Strong computer skills in MS office – especially PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook.